PetroCONNECT Mentorship Programme
The industry has battled with relatively high failure rate, particularly among BBBEE new entrants. To help curb this concerning trend, PetroCONNECT established an ‘aftercare’ mentorship programme which aims to empower and support young, inexperienced and upcoming dealers to ensure their sustainability. This mentorship intervention has not only assisted new retailers, but even old and experienced retailers with turn around strategies and profitability of their sites.
PetroCONNECT has carefully selected experienced mentors across the country whose credentials best fit this critical role. These mentors have been trained on our advanced mentorship tools in order to ensure consistent offering that can easily be scalable. Our innovative online BUZZ Application ensures that each mentor can easily look after 12 or more mentees with daily, weekly and monthly engagements through this platform. Although our online system provides enough support to our mentees, mentors are however still required to physically visit mentees at their respective sites at least once a month. During COVID-19 pandemic, our mentors are able to make full use of our innovative online platforms, still achieving just about the same results.
The purpose of the mentorship is to identify appropriate training strategies and activities required to achieve the desired learning outcome during the implementation of the mentorship programme. Many of the new dealers coming into the industry have very little experience on business management skills and more specifically in Fuel Retail Operations. The main objective for PetroCONNECT is to ensure sustainability and growth of new entrants, to the satisfaction of major stakeholders.
The Mentorship Plan was designed to provide a clear understanding of what must happen to ensure efficient business operations, and where training gaps have been identified, PetroCONNECT would recommend possible solutions for the mentee to support them to effectively manage the business.
- Transfer business skills and knowledge from the mentors to mentees.
- Help new dealer to be sustainable and grow.
- Assist new dealer to achieve their business objectives.
- Ensure sound financial controls and accountability.
- Assist manage cash flows for the business.
- New dealers are paired with an experienced mentor based on the new dealer’s identified personal and business development needs.
- Personal and administrative development through identified skills gap – this is mainly for new dealers who are managing a service station for the first time.
- Business development through the day-to-day operational efficiencies of the business. This is mainly for dealers that are already operating their businesses who have been identified to have certain gaps in their operations.
The Mentorship Programme Entails:
- Identifying areas of challenges for the dealer and the business and addressing those through bespoke mentoring programme to respond to those challenges.
- Business turn-around strategy to maximise operational efficiencies and profitability.
- Ensuring monthly management accounts are scrutinized on monthly basis and encourage accountability.